- Churchill Downs' spring meet moving to Ellis Park after 12 horse deaths at famed racetrackat 1:39 am
After 12 deaths at track and emergency meetings over the safety of the horses, Churchill Downs will move the rest of its Spring Meet to Ellis Park.
- Biden praises Kevin McCarthy on debt deal: 'Both sides kept their word.'at 11:52 pm
President Joe Biden praised Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy for negotiating "in good faith" to end the debt limit crisis.
- Elliot Page reveals past relationship with Kate Mara in upcoming memoir 'Pageboy'at 10:42 pm
Elliot Page is opening up about his previous relationship with Kate Mara, while she was dating Max Minghella.
- Pennsylvania DA seeks death for man charged with fatally shooting kids playing with kittensat 10:30 pm
A Pennsylvania district attorney announced she will seek the death penalty against one suspect in the fatal shooting of young brothers this week.
- US credit rating downgrade may be coming despite debt ceiling deal, Fitch saysat 9:50 pm
A credit rating downgrade would make it more expensive for the U.S. to borrow debt.
- Tropical Storm Arlene: 1st named storm of Atlantic hurricane season forms; expected to remain offshoreat 9:49 pm
The National Hurricane Center said Friday the storm is expected to remain offshore and have only minimal impact in Florida or any land area.
- Naomi Osaka, Cordae announce they're having a girl: 'A little princess is on the way'at 9:09 pm
Tennis star Naomi Osaka and rapper Cordae are expecting a baby girl, the two shared on social media on Friday.
- Justice Department won't pursue charges against Mike Pence over classified documentsat 8:42 pm
Days before he announces his 2024 presidential campaign, Mike Pence is off the hook in his classified documents case.
- 'Dangerous precedent?' How the averted debt ceiling crisis could become new Washington normat 8:39 pm
President Joe Biden has said he will explore challenging the constitutionality of the debt ceiling. Legal experts say the undertaking is problematic.
- Home Depot is selling modern, prefab tiny houses for under $50K: Here's the catch.at 7:55 pm
Home Depot's pre-fabricated tiny houses range from about $4,000 to $40,000 but as always in the US housing market, there's a catch.
- Padma Lakshmi to exit 'Top Chef' after 20th season: 'It's time to move on'at 6:58 pm
"After much soul searching, I have made the difficult decision to leave 'Top Chef,'" the TV host said in a statement Friday.
- Smoke from wildfires in Canada prompt US air quality alerts. Here's a wildfire, smoke map.at 6:50 pm
Smoke from wildfires in Canada continued to drift into the U.S. on Friday, prompting air quality alerts across the Midwest, Northeast and mid-Atlantic.
- Volkswagen is bringing back the bus: EV version of iconic Microbus unveiled in the USat 6:34 pm
The new van, set for sale in 2024, "pays homage to the iconic Volkswagen Microbus", VW announced Friday.
- MMA fighter subdues alligator lurking in parking lot of Florida elementary schoolat 6:03 pm
"I felt like Batman," Mike Dragich said after corraling, containing a 10-foot gator that had wandered near an elementary school in Jacksonville.
- 'It takes a village': Are 'mommunes' the secret to single parenting?at 5:53 pm
"Mommunes" are a group of single parents who live together and share parenting and household responsibilities to better support each other.
- USA TODAY names NPR executive editor Terence Samuel as editor-in-chiefat 5:42 pm
In his new role, Samuel will help lead the publication through "the next phase of growth and innovation," according to an announcement from Gannett.
- Pastor, son charged with dealing weed, mushrooms out of North Carolina churchat 4:33 pm
Josh Price and Matthew Price were arrested after deputies seized marijuana, mushrooms, and other drugs from the North Carolina church.
- US life expectancy problem is 'bigger than we ever thought,' report findsat 4:15 pm
A new study found the country has been at a life expectancy disadvantage since the 1950s, with more than 50 countries surpassing the U.S.
- As Pride Month begins, a message to Target boycotters: 'Get lost'at 3:56 pm
Pride Month 2023 has arrived, and with it are predictable waves of right-wing bellyaching over the audacity of corporations supporting LGBTQ+ people.
- Former 'Wild 'N Out' star Jacky Oh, longtime partner to DC Young Fly, dies at 32at 3:50 pm
Jacky Oh was a "loving friend and beloved colleague" and "tremendous mother to three beautiful children," a statement from a BET spokesperson said.
- 10 best weekend sales to shop at HexClad, Samsung, Paramount+, Michael Kors and moreat 3:09 pm
These are the best weekend sales you can shop today, including huge markdowns at Samsung, HexClad, Paramount+, Nordstrom and more.
- Wegmans employee pleads guilty to scamming company for $568,000 in fraudulent refundsat 11:59 am
A worker at the Wegmans market in Webster, New York, ripped off the company for more than $560,000 by creating fraudulent pharmacy refunds and pocketing the money.
- Antibiotics for humans, livestock found in waters flowing to Lake Erieat 11:33 am
The antibiotics found in Lake Erie waterways could contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria — a rising global concern already.
- Are lightning bugs going extinct? A visual guide to why the firefly is fighting off a dimming of its lightat 10:30 am
More than 170 species of fireflies light up North America's nights, but several are threatened by light pollution, pesticides and climate change.
- The rise and fall of a Soviet surgeon who came to America, made millions — and lost it allat 9:18 am
Vasso Godiali grew up modestly in the USSR, lived the American dream, and now is headed to prison.
- What happened this week?at 1:04 am
Take our news quiz 📝
- Pride Month 2023at 2:57 pm
History and highlights
- Your online college course may be run by a for-profit company. How to spot the difference.at 12:47 pm
Colleges are turning to tech companies to manage online classes. They don't always tell students.