- Live updates: Senate Republicans block funding bill as Congress scrambles to avoid government shutdownat 11:18 pm
Congress faces a series of high-stakes votes this week on government funding, the debt limit, infrastructure and President Joe Biden's priorities.
- A fireball passing through the atmosphere at 32,000 mph was caught on camera in North Carolinaat 10:32 pm
Over a hundred people reported seeing a fireball rip through the sky on the East Coast, but one home camera captured the phenomenon.
- R. Kelly verdict: R&B star found guilty on all counts in New York sex trafficking trialat 10:18 pm
R&B star R. Kelly has been convicted on all nine counts of sex trafficking and racketeering in New York following a six-weeklong trial.
- TikTok tops 1 billion users as social media app's growth surgesat 9:59 pm
TikTok was founded in 2016 and became an international brand in 2018. Its growth has been explosive since then.
- FBI: Record surge in 2020 murders; nearly 30% increase drives spike in violent crimeat 9:52 pm
FBI reported a nearly 30% increase in murders in 2020, the largest single-year jump since the bureau began recording crime statistics six decades ago.
- 'Does this make sense?' Winds in Jupiter's great red spot are speeding up, now over 400 mphat 9:47 pm
The biggest storm in our solar system is getting wilder: Winds in Jupiter's great red spot are getting faster, astronomers reported in a new study.
- This 3,000-room Las Vegas hotel was sold in a $5.65B deal, to be operated by MGM Resortsat 9:29 pm
The owner of the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas is selling the 3,000-room hotel in a $5.65 billion deal with a partnership that plans to contract with MGM Resorts International. […]
- 'SNL' cast members Beck Bennett, Lauren Holt exit; three new cast members announcedat 8:48 pm
Live from New York, it's … a new season and a new cast of "Saturday Night Live." See which cast members are returning, exiting and getting promoted.
- Josh Gordon to sign with Kansas City Chiefs after recent reinstatement from NFL suspensionat 8:35 pm
The Chiefs aren't standing pat after a 1-2 start, as the defending AFC champions are bringing aboard wide receiver Josh Gordon.
- A woman on TikTok wasn't afraid to show her death. In the process, she helped others live.at 8:09 pm
The video app TikTok offers users an unexpectedly intimate space to navigate and narrate experiences with terminal illness, grief and dying.
- 16-year-old in pickup truck tried to blow exhaust smoke on cyclists, then struck them, witness saysat 7:54 pm
Police in Waller, Texas, were investigating after six cyclists were struck by a 16-year-old in a pickup. Four were taken to the hospital.
- Banned Books Week: We defend 30 challenged books including 'Beloved' and '1984'at 7:52 pm
For Banned Books Week, USA TODAY staffers defend some of the most-challenged books and their rightful place in our world.
- How remote work enabled these young workers to live their New York City dreamat 7:07 pm
An influx of young remote workers to New York City is causing rental bidding wars and record-breaking leasing activity.
- Category 3 Hurricane Sam could kick up 'life-threatening surf' along East Coast. But storm shouldn't make landfall.at 6:58 pm
Hurricane Sam continued to swirl in the Atlantic Ocean on Monday with winds of 125 mph, down from a peak of 150 mph on Sunday.
- Manhunt for Brian Laundrie in Florida wetlands scaled back; FBI collects items for 'DNA matching'at 6:56 pm
The manhunt for Brian Laundrie in a Florida nature reserve will be scaled back this week after the death of his fiancee, Gabby Petito.
- 'DWTS' pro Cheryl Burke tests positive for COVID, tearfully apologizes to dance partner Cody Rigsbyat 6:39 pm
"Dancing With the Stars" pro Cheryl Burke, who is partnered this season with Peloton instructor Cody Rigsby, has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Conversation on civil rightsat 6:26 pm
Seven Days of 1961
- How obituary for vaccinated COVID victim led to worldwide attention and insultsat 5:33 pm
'I definitely didn't think that it would have a global impact,' Candace Ayers' daughter and the author of Ayers' obituary said.
- Opinion: Tennessee's dishonorable move of canceling Army game shows how far Volunteers have fallenat 5:28 pm
Tennessee's decision to replace Army with Akron on 2022 football schedule is dishonorable. Medal of Honor recipients were to be recognized at game.
- Find the Coach purse of your dreams at an epic markdown nowat 4:03 pm
Shop handbags, totes and crossbodies at up to 60% off right now at Coach.
- Some say COVID-19 vaccine is the 'mark of the beast.' Is there a connection to the Bible?at 3:45 pm
Some people call COVID-19 vaccines the "mark of the beast" from the New Testament's Book of Revelation. Here's what the Bible says.
- Darius Rucker: 'Country music has this stigma ... and that's changing'at 2:24 pm
Darius Rucker reflects on overcoming racial obstacles and the current landscape facing upcoming Black artists in country music.
- South Korean president says the 'time has come' to stop eating dogs, seeks ban on practiceat 2:14 pm
About 1 million dogs are eaten every year as part of South Korean cuisine. President Moon Jae-in is proposing an end to that tradition.
- Mama bear and cub enjoy slides at a North Carolina school playgroundat 1:50 pm
A mama bear and her cub were spotted playing on the slides at an elementary school playground.
- Friends and family say goodbye to Gabby Petito at Long Island, NY funeralat 1:34 pm
Funeral services took place in Holbrook, New York, near the Bayport-Blue Point community where Petito grew up.
- Reps. Tlaib and Omar: Democrats must be bold to save America from Republican attacksat 10:00 am
Many in the establishment would use Democrats' razor-thin election victory as a reason to avoid bold reforms. That is a dangerous narrative.
- Know thy tenant: Philadelphia's eviction diversion model keeps tenants in their homes. Landlords get paid, too.at 4:23 pm
After Philadelphia passed sweeping reforms mandating landlords apply for rental relief and participate in diversion programs, 92% of evictions were resolved.
- Channeling my mom (but never her hair), I see reason for hope this fall: Kids' vaccines are comingat 10:00 am
Last year we had an autumn like no other because of the pandemic.